ImagineCare Health App Achieves 15% Reduction in Total Cost of Care
Dartmouth-Hitchcock sought a proactive and patient-centric digital solution to patient care. Their goal? To allow clinicians to monitor and care for patients remotely and continuously, without a visit to the hospital.
The solution? A bold new 24/7, digital-enabled, health center - in the form of a mobile health app.
- Imagine a hospital that doesn't want you to visit.
- 20% reduction in the total cost of care
- 23% reduction in emergency room costs
- 95% patient satisfaction rating
- $298 reduction PMPM (per-member-per-month) in total care
Creating a Hospital That Doesn't Want You to Visit
The Process: Refining the Vision to Improve Patient Care
Together, Dartmouth-Hitchcock and Mad*Pow set out to improve patient care and disrupt healthcare as we know it. Mad*Pow's role was to translate the client's passion, ideas, and clinical expertise into a health app.
But first, the team needed determine what the service might include. To that end, Mad*Pow conducted stakeholder interviews, then led a workshop with clinicians, product managers, and executive leadership. In this workshop, the team reached alignment on a plan and roadmap. Now Mad*Pow could bring their ideas to life.
A Health App Built for Behavior Change
The ImagineCare health app benefits from Mad*Pow’s expertise in patient- and clinician-facing systems. That behavior change background helped Mad*Pow to crystallize the ImagineCare vision. And the resulting design helps clinicians connect with patients.
For example, the user-centric clinician app helps clinicians efficiently manage alerts in one screen, while using the other to view a patient's condition and background. This means they can see patient histories, while having real-time voice, video or text chats with the people in their care.
Mad*Pow’s development team then implemented and delivered the native iOS app and Angular-based dual-screen clinician web app. They integrated the app against an Azure-based server-side solution that it helped define.
As one user said, "This is not a technology solution, but really a human solution enabled by technology to help people self-manage.”
The Results: A Patient-Centric Health App
After the successful launch of ImagineCare, Dartmouth-Hitchcock spun it off as a stand-alone venture. More than a dozen entities bid for ImagineCare.
Ultimately, ImagineCare was purchased by a Swedish entity that will continue to develop the health app. Alongside them, Mad*Pow continues to support the design and development of this innovative health app.
- Research and Testing: Every audience and situation is unique. Mad*Pow's Research team conducted user and stakeholder interviews to better understand the needs of the clinicians, patients, and ImagineCare team.
- Behavior Change: Mad*Pow's Behavior Change Design team ensured the health app was based on a solid framework of behavioral psychology.
- Experience Design: The design of ImagineCare needed to evoke trust and professionalism. The Mad*Pow Experience Design team created interactions and visuals to support this brand.
- Mobile App & Web Development: The development team had an active role from the start. Ultimately, their expertise allowed the dream of 24/7 clinician-patient communication to come to life.
“The real-time interaction with the ImagineCare team makes me feel like someone is looking out for my health and best interest.”an ImagineCare Patient